Welcome to the first post in my new series called "Workout Wednesday". Yes, its the middle of the week and you're tired and you just want to make it to Friday. But, this is THE most important time for you to keep moving! If you can keep consistent with your workouts during the week, you're body will thank you when the weekend comes (hey, I'm talking to you, Bernadette!). So, on hump-day, I'll be delivering a new workout technique or health tip to keep you motivated.
This week, I'm focused on the Back: We need to treat it with the respect it deserves! Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way how important it is not to ignore your back and core. And now, if I miss just one day of back exercises, I pay for it. So, if you're going to do anything daily, don't forget to take just a couple of moments to warm-up your spine and do a few strengthening exercises.
Below are some resources to help you do just that...
- Here's a great series of back exercises from the Mayo Clinic, which only take about 15-mins a day.
- And from Prevention.com, a few back stretches to relieve pain and stretch the spine.
- More illustrated options for stretching, that you can easily do from home.
- Check out the Power of Pilates and then try the 4-Week Ab Makeover from Shape.com.
- And just as important - you should educate yourself on proper sitting posture.
David Wicker also shows you an excellent hip/buttock stretch in his video series "7 Minutes to a Healhty Lower Back", incorporating all-important breathing techniques (just try to ignore the spandex please).